Friday, January 22, 2010

GenCode...Ed Scott

UPDATE: New Facebook app

Yep, I just wrote a facebook app you can share out with your friends, I will be adding more later
http://apps.facebook.com/hurricanesoftware/

Ed Scott, Sr. C# Software Developer/Architect based in Florida.

Specializing in Microsoft Development
.NET 3.5 Framework, C#, ASP.NET, WPF, WCF, LINQ.

Places I have worked
Fortune 500 Companies: such as CitiGroup/JPMorgan/Techdata
Small companies: 20-30 people such as Motivano/Geonex/Nextrade
Companies I have worked with to help with a solution, Weather Channel

What have I done in my spare time, I love coding so I code in my spare time...like a lot of us geeks.

....Well back then

C++, DSL
Back when I started working in the 90's I wanted to create a Hurricane Tracking Application, at the time pretty much VB was fast to develop and simple to code, but I wanted more, I wanted it also to be fast to run and develop, a new library came along called
MFC, it made C++ simpler to make Windows apps so I started to work.

.....This Is Now

C#, .NET, WPF, WCF, SOA and iPhone, Objective C.

Working on my own time, late nights and weekends the app has evolved over the years, and so have I COMPLETELY rewrote the app, Tracking The Eye, into a full .NET application...but to support it HTML
would no longer do, I needed a real time SOA architecture, so I created a set of web services to run the application. well that was not enough iPhone, and Windows Gadgets were coming into focus, so REST support was added.

HurricaneSoftware.com currently holds the top spot with Google, Bing and Yahoo for the keywords "Hurricane Software"

Example of UI



Silverlight, LINQ, WPF, WCF, iPhone, Android...the world is changing FAST...what was new is old....just knowing OO and threading is not enough anymore.

Well good news this all goes toward
re-usability...
So added an alternate map that can be reused and ran on a Macbook if needed

Here's an example of the Silverlight portion of the app, it is embedded into a Windows form application and uses the Silverlight Bing Map Control and a pop UserControl that shows a realtime radar map over the location you hover over.
Embedded Satellite Imagery


Apple is Back...WOW after a slump, Apple is Back! Good for the consumer, for the dev, well you will need to know Objective C, Based on Smalltalk its not my "personal" favorite....but its Apples solution. I like the separation of GUI vs Business concept like Microsoft's WPF and Google's XML based layouts for the Android.

Here are some screenshots of the iPhone app I developed for my followers
This iPhone app supports Multi Touch, Geo Locations fully interactive map and Google map
SDK. It can give your distance to the storm from your location. It communicates via the same SOA web services the Windows and Windows Gadget and Silverlight apps do.

Interactive Tracking Map


Main Menu


My App is one of the Top 20 Weather downloaded applications.

If you'd like to check it out and have
iTunes you can get it here:

Pay Version (Its only 99 cents)
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hurricanesoftware-coms-tracking/id293764489?mt=8

Free Version
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hurricanesoftware-coms-tracking/id300594730?mt=8


You can follow my tweets on

...Thanks to all my developer friends and especially to my wife for supporting me on those long nights and weekends.

Heres a little lifesaving PDF that makes your life a lot easier.

1 comment:

  1. This latest edition (paid)of TTE is very frustrating. I've had TTE for at least 5 years or longer. Is there anyway to turn off the storm labeling? You use to be able to switch from current storm info to forecast info. Now they both appear at the same time and the words and storms or overlapping which makes for a cluttered and hard to read viewing. I'm about to just cancel my subscription and get my money back. The storm graphics would be easier to read if I enter the storm info manually, but that's not what I'm paying for.

    ReplyDelete